[bksvol-discuss] Re: [OT] Dickens' novels

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:48:15 -0600

Pratik,
Yes, I found Tolstoy's characters more realistic. And Chekhov has both
neurotic and normal characters, male and female. Of course, most of his
stories serve the purpose of exploring specific ideas or situations. I
really like his short stories, and I've read the Cherry Orchard but not the
other plays. As for Pushkin, what I've read of his were mainly swashbuckling
adventures, and I don't know how realistic anything in them was, but they're
fun to read anyway. <grin> I haven't read Eugene Onegin, poetry in
translation is usually a total loss and although I'm learning Russian I'm
definitely not in that league, and probably won't be for another 20 years.
<lol>
Kellie