[bksvol-discuss] Re: O T JAWS 10

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:54:26 -0500

Hi, Roger. I'd say most experienced Jaws users are having to adapt to the
new auto-forms mode. It can be turned off permanently or on a site by site
basis. I kept it on for a full week before deciding I'd given myself long
enough to decide what I think about it. I turned it off for several sites
but left it on for a few too. That feature, according to the FS site and
documentation, was designed to help sighted trainers and new Jaws users.

For advanced users, there are some new features that allow a greater level
of customization. I like them a lot but doubt that most people will use
them.

From a consumer's point of view, I see two primary advantages and one
secondary advantage in Jaws 10. One primary advantage is the support for
iTunes. The other is the enhanced and expanded support for Firefox 3. That's
important because Firefox 3 can use a service called Web Visum, and that
lets blind people get around captcha images on various sites that have
excluded us for years. This isn't part of Jaws, but you need Jaws 10 access
to use Firefox 3 comfortably. IE users can't use this service.

The secondary advantage I see may be a bigger deal for those who aren't
computer geeks. It's called Tandem, and it's a secure method that would
allow tech support or a trusted trainer or friend to help you fix computer
problems through Jaws. You would hear what the person is doing, and they
would hear your speech so they could help you if Jaws isn't working right.
It's secure because the person helping you gets a onetime-only key to enter
your computer to help you. Once he disconnects, that key won't work anymore.
So he can't come back and get things like your credit card info while you're
asleep. (smile) The reason this is a secondary advantage to me is that I
would be one of the people fixing computer problems, not the one getting
help. So I don't actually need the service. It will be sold on a
subscription plan so you can get help when you need it day or night. Since
it costs for trainers to register, I doubt I'll bother using it unless
someone convinces me they really, really need help.

If you don't want or need any of these features, upgrading probably won't
make sense for you. I do have to say that I like the small but definite
improvements in Word and Outlook. They make accessing information faster and
easier. I'm not sure how much I'd pay for them though. I'd have to think
about that.

Monica Willyard