[bksvol-discuss] Re: O T JAWS 10

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:36:01 -0500

Hi Roger, The copying of the web page thing happened because they changed
what happens when you select and paste text on the web.  If you open your
web browser, then use Insert+V, move down to the Virtual Cursor Options,
then down one more line to a line that says Select and copy full content.
If you tab, you will land in a read only box that tells you what that
does. If you go back to the choices and hit the space bar, it will change
back to the old way of copying. Once you do that and hit Enter to close
the dialog, JAWS sets it that way and remembers it so that you don't have
to keep doing it. It remembers it in both FireFox and Internet Explorer.
FreedomScientific added this new way of selecting and copying content so
that it would be easy for us to select web content and copy it into other
documents in such a way that the content including fonts and formatting is
preserved. This new way of doing things also allows some of the
interactivity on web pages to take place that JAWS couldn't react to
before version 10.

Hope that helps.

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

"Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
11/18/2008 08:03 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: O T JAWS 10

Perhaps I did not givve it enough of a chance to learn how to deal
with some features. I did not know, for example, that the extremely
annoying auto-forms feature could be turned off. As for Firefox or
iTunes, I have never used or tried out either. There are a lot of
things I have never tried because I launched into using a computer
with absolutely no training or knowledge of the contraptions and had
to teach myself everything. That means that I have spent an enormous
amount of time teaching myself with absolutely no help and experienced
a lot of frustration, exhaustion, and burnout. After reaching a
certain level of proficiency the idea of starting to learn something
else from scratch tends to fill me with the dread of further self
torture. The auto-forms feature is not the only problem though. Most
of the buttons do not work for me with JAWS 10. The first time I tried
to send an email after installing it I tried to click the send button
and nothing happened. I got sighted help to click it with the mouse
and it worked. Other buttons seemed not to work either. Commands like
using the F key for forms or other single letter keys worked only
sporadically. At least the X key for check boxes worked fine. Copying
and pasting did not seem to be working well for me. I tried to copy an
ISBN on Amazon and paste it into the search field at PaperbackSwap.com
and it would not paste. I finally got it there by memorizing it and
just typing it in. As an experiment I tried to copy an entire web page
and paste it into Word Pad. In JAWS 9 when I pres control A I am told
how many characters I have just highlighted. With JAWS 10 there was
only silence and I was not sure I had highlighted anything. There was
also silence when I pressed control C and then when I pressed control
V. My sighted help did tell me that I had successfully copied and
pasted the page, but then it would not read the copied text to me.
There may be simple fixes and settings that will solve all these
problems, but the changes are too extreme. It is just throwing too
much at me at once and I prefer the way I have been doing things. If
JAWS 10 is an improvement I want to take advantage of the
improvements, but I would like to do so a little at a time. Along with
the JAWS 10 I also got a notification that payment for the current SMA
is due by the end of the year and that JAWS 11 is expected in the
latter part of 2009. If JAWS 11 is just going to add more
complications to JAWS 10 then I am not sure I want to spend the money.
On the other hand, though, I also do not want to be left behind using
obsolete tools.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Roger. I'd say most experienced Jaws users are having to adapt to
the
> new auto-forms mode. It can be turned off permanently or on a site by
site
> basis. I kept it on for a full week before deciding I'd given myself
long
> enough to decide what I think about it. I turned it off for several
sites
> but left it on for a few too. That feature, according to the FS site and
> documentation, was designed to help sighted trainers and new Jaws users.
>
> For advanced users, there are some new features that allow a greater
level
> of customization. I like them a lot but doubt that most people will use
> them.
>
> From a consumer's point of view, I see two primary advantages and one
> secondary advantage in Jaws 10. One primary advantage is the support for
> iTunes. The other is the enhanced and expanded support for Firefox 3.
That's
> important because Firefox 3 can use a service called Web Visum, and that
> lets blind people get around captcha images on various sites that have
> excluded us for years. This isn't part of Jaws, but you need Jaws 10
access
> to use Firefox 3 comfortably. IE users can't use this service.
>
> The secondary advantage I see may be a bigger deal for those who aren't
> computer geeks. It's called Tandem, and it's a secure method that would
> allow tech support or a trusted trainer or friend to help you fix
computer
> problems through Jaws. You would hear what the person is doing, and they
> would hear your speech so they could help you if Jaws isn't working
right.
> It's secure because the person helping you gets a onetime-only key to
enter
> your computer to help you. Once he disconnects, that key won't work
anymore.
> So he can't come back and get things like your credit card info while
you're
> asleep. (smile) The reason this is a secondary advantage to me is that I
> would be one of the people fixing computer problems, not the one getting
> help. So I don't actually need the service. It will be sold on a
> subscription plan so you can get help when you need it day or night.
Since