[bksvol-discuss] Re: O T JAWS 10

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 21:27:06 -0500

I started to say that, well, it workks in JAWS 9, but I decided to be
absolutely sure before I replied to you. I just went to a document I
have saved in Word Pad and pressed control A with JAWS 10. It just sat
there silently like it did before so I sat there silently too while I
contemplated what to do next. Voila! It suddenly told me how many
characters I had in the document. Apparently I just have to be patient
and wait for it.

It is beginning to look like the more I tweak JAWS 10 the more I will
be able to live with it, but now I find myself asking if the more
usable for me I make it, the more it is like JAWS 9 then what was the
point of switching to JAWS 10 in the first place? Can anyone tell me
what advantages JAWS  10 really has over JAWS 9?

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Bob <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Roger.
> The function control a works in some programs and not in others. At least
> ass far as telling you how many characters are selected.
>
> I went to WordPad, typed "hello" and pressed control a. It didn't say squat.
>
> I am using jaws 9. something (the latest version of nine).
>
> I think the number of character is a scriptable item, and apparently the
> folks that did scripts for WordPad (if indeed there are scripts) chose not
> to do it.
>
> I've noticed that the number of characters is given when you select all in
> your web browser. Some programs wait until you copy the item to the
> clipboard to tell you how many characters there are. Alas, not WordPad.
>
> "If your watch is broken, old Bob will tell you how to build a watch, but
> not how to make it work."
>
> Hope this helps.
> Bob
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Loran Bailey"
> <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>

>>> for us to select web content and copy it into other documents in such a
>>> way
>>> that the content including fonts and formatting is preserved. This new
>>> way
>>> of doing things also allows some of the interactivity on web pages to
>>> take
>>> place that JAWS couldn't react to before version 10.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>
>>> James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
>>> james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810
>>>
>>> "The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
>>> don't
>>> is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
>>> success,regardless
>>> of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
>>> Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
>>> http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/
>>>

>>> "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
>>> Sent by: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>
>>> 11/18/2008 08:03 PM