[bksvol-discuss] Re: Nobel Prize winners in Literature from 1901 was Special COllections

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:55:00 -0400

Kim, it sounds like you think you are arguing against me, but you are making the same point I was making. That is that taste in literature is subjective. Of course there are people who really enjoy William Faulkner. There are also people who really enjoy a porn novel. I don't happen to see either as more legitimate than the other. It is a personal choice. After all, it is just fiction. There is no objective way of judging a work of fiction like you can judge a textbook on auto mechanics for example. If one person reads a textbook on auto mechanics and another person reads another textbook on auto mechanics and one of them immediately becomes more proficient at repairing cars and if you can eliminate other factors such as level of interest in the subject and prior learning then you have a way to determine that one textbook is better than the other. Fiction is fiction though. There is no objective criterion to determine which is really better. Nevertheless, there are some people who proclaim their own form of entertainment as superior to all other people's entertainment and sneer at other people for their choice in entertainment. That is snobbery. It is a very flimsy basis for feelings of self superiority. Sometimes groups of people appoint themselves as the determiners of the most superior types of entertainment and they use social connections to get onto committees that hand out awards to certain items of entertainment and claim that those awards and prizes make that entertainment superior to all other entertainments Since they are the ones who consume that entertainment then it follows that they are superior people. That is snobbery. As far as I am concerned the books that get these literary awards are just as legitimate as the aforementioned porn novel and it is fine with me that some people read them and prefer them. What is not fine with me is that those people who read those kind of books sneer at me for enjoying the kind of literature that I enjoy, that is, science fiction. They would never think of granting a literary prize to a science fiction novel unless they deny that it is science fiction. And that does happen from time to time, but the self appointed literary elite will never admit that it is science fiction. If they did that they might have to admit that they are not superior people.

Hi, Roger, I think it isn't necessarily the snob appeal which might win someone a prize. I think William Faulkner won for his experimental writing style and how he tried to narrate the history in a pocket universe he created, Yoknapatawpha County. Just because he may not be your choice of reading matter, he must have appealed to some people who really enjoyed his style of writing and telling a story. It seems to me there are all kinds of folk who read for a variety of reasons: personally, I read for a good story and for me this involves caring about and identifying with the characters. I suppose other people have different criteria. Speaking for myself, I couldn't enjoy Virginia Woolf's To The Lighthouse because nothing really happened in the story. Sure, you found out about the interior thoughts and feelings of the characters, but for me, this wasn't enough to engage my interest. I suppose there are others who are first caught by the mechanics the author uses in telling a story and are willing to ferret out what makes the author appeal to them. They don't have to like the characters (if any), but they might be delighted in how the author describes the setting or his/her word usage. I think what really struck me about Winston Graham (I don't think he ever won the Nobel Prize) was how his word choice, dialog, and powers of description got me to know the milieu of his stories, his characters and the interest the author had in them and how he was able to make me share his interest. In other words, I like someone who can tell a story. I think readers of literature sometimes get so caught up in whatever they're experiencing with the author that they forget about the storytelling part which is so vital to most readers. I suppose there may be some folks who have snobbery about what constitutes literature with a capital L, but I wouldn't say that all English teachers forget about the value of storytelling. I also think that some works require the reader to have a bit more life experience so they can be fully appreciated. I think I appreciated Charles Dickens's works when I was older. When I was required to read Great Expectations in Junior High, I couldn't really get into the story. When I read him in my thirties, I was struck by how he used words in setting a scene and how his characters acted. He was quite theatrical. I'm certainly willing to concede there may be folks who are snobbish or pretentious, who might read something because it is the done thing or because they feel they ought to like something but I don't know that the majority of people are like that. I don't even know if the "intelligentsia" are like that. Regards, Kim Friedman.
    *From:* Sue Stevens <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        *From:* Mayrie ReNae <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
        *From:* bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx