[bksvol-discuss] Marketing Bookshare some musings

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:06:59 -0400

hey you all, I am back from three days spent in our State Capital.  And
coming back from a Braille Remembrance Day celebration, and while I was
there had a musing question.

At this event we had different tables showing different aspects of Braille,
from notetakers, and other technology, to games, to arts and crafts and the
like using Braille.

We also had speakers and I put in a plug for bookshare in mine, smile.  Mine
was on how Braille is important in Education.

But I was wondering.

Since, the bookshare staff is so small, and because you all, are located out
in California, which is well three thousand miles away, and you can't be at
every conference.  I was wondering.

AT Guide Dogs for the Blind, Inc. we have what is called the Speaker's
Bureau.  It is a way for graduates, puppy raisers, and just volunteers to
talk about guide dogs, the school and the like.  They give us materials we
can photocopy and the like and hand out to the general public if we come
across people that may be interested.

I have been asked on a few occassions, but usually don't have stuff on me
about bookshare.  I usually go home print off the Frequently Asked
Questions, and hand that out.

But, if for example at my state PCB convention (Pennsylvania council of the
blind) or at another function, like this Braille Revival activity,
Bookshare, could have a table, even if it was manned by a volunteer, who had
materials to talk about the organization.

Anyway.  Just a thought, but wondering if Bookshare would find that a
violable solution.  I know of people active in different blindness and
advocacy groups, and also as part of school boards, or advisories, and if we
have the materials to pass out, or can be better informed to direct people
to the site.

Well.... just musing.  I am slowly working through the pile of email I have
waiting for me, and have five books to submit, go twelve hour car ride!,
smile, but, am interested in all your thoughts on the matter.

I know for GDB their speakers Bureau is very successful.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com