[bksvol-discuss] Louisa May Alcott books

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 18:13:38 -0700 (PDT)

I can't believe we don't have any of Alcott's books in
the collection. I guess it was when I was recommending
Jack and Jill when another similar book was added that
there were problems obtaining a copy but I saw it on
Gutenberg.

Anyway, I just checked. The only copy of Little Women
in the collection is a shortened Scholastic version,
and there is a collection of her Christmas short
stories and novellas, but none of the major or minor
ones, i.e., Little Women and Little Men. I don't
remember all the other titles, but Jack and Jill was
one of my favorites--they are friends and neighbors
who are laid up for months after a sledding accident
and they hook up  some kind of communication device
between their homes. I'm adding all of the titles that
I liked as a child to the Wish List, but they are
probably available from Project Gutenberg, too. But
that brings to mind a problem---if someone comes to
bookshare to look for a classic that we don't have,
unless they ask here or are familiar with P.G. they
won't think to go there. Ah, well. As Lisa says, it
takes too much staff time--BUT--

Do I understand correctly from what Jim posted that we
can download a book from PG and then submit it to
bookshare? I'll doublecheck. If so, then that would
solve the problem.