[bksvol-discuss] Re: Jaws commands

  • From: "Martha Rafter" <mlhr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:35:44 -0500

Hi Dasha and all,
I have a "cheat sheet" that I copied from bookshare a while ago. It's mostly from something Judy S did for the manual. I think it's clear and straight-forward compared to the manual of now. I've updated it a bit. If you'd like a copy, I'll send it along.
Marty

-----Original Message----- From: Dasha Radford
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 5:53 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Jaws commands

Angel is right. The manual is a bit confusing if you're totally blind. That's been one of my fears as well proofreading. Even if you set Jaws commands to certain and hot keys and set punctuation to all sometimes Jaws doesn't behave the way you think it will and causes trouble. And in so far as I know it doesn't recognize spacing errors like extra blank lines or as others on here have put it white spaces unless you turn on text analyzer which then would continually drive you crazy with mistakes that the author made that you didn't.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2012, at 12:16 PM, Angel Murphy <angel.murphy83@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey Misha I just wanted to tell u thanks for the help. But I am a totally blind user of Bookshare. An the manual is confusing to understand. That's y I am asking for help. Because I don't understand the manual, and what it is saying. I hope that everyone is able to understand.

Sent from my iPod

On Nov 12, 2012, at 11:11 AM, misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Angel,

Glad you got JAWS doing what you want it to, since I'm a sighted volunteer and can't help much with that. But as to what you do as a proofer, That I know a lot about. Actually, you should read the proofing and scanning manual in the volunteer section of the bookshare web site, first. But that can take a while and you can make a useful start on proofing without it.

Here's a brief summary of what you need to "fix."

The scanning and character recognition programs make mistakes (we call them scannos as an analogy to typing errors that are called typos). Most of these are where one or two letters are mistaken for other letters with approximately the same shape. A very simple example is i, l, 1, are all vertical lines. Any one of them can be mistaken from the other. So if a word has a 1 in the middle of it and the sentence makes sense by putting i or l in place of the 1, that's an obvious fix. Similarly for o and 0. Then there are combinations of letters that are similar rl, and ri can be converted to n; ni, nl, ln, in, rn, nr can be converted to m. And since they are similar to m, they are similar to each other so any one of them can become any of the others. Then there is the less obvious by shape, but at one time quite frequent conversion of th into di making all the occurrences of the into die, and a very depressing read.

One way to get a lot of these fixed is to use the spelling correction in your proofing program (Word or K1000 or whatever). Almost all of the time these result in nonsense, not real words, so the spelling checker will find them. Unfortunately, the spelling checkers are mostly geared to providing hints in terms of typical typing errors, not letter shape errors so the alternatives it provides are often useless. But by consideration of letter shapes and the context of the sentence it is usually pretty obvious what the intent was.

In some cases the scanno can be a real word, though. The only way to find these is by actually reading the text

The easiest problems to find (but not always to fix) are when there was a smudge or a picture on the page and the scanning and character recognition program tried to make that into words and instead just added nonsense. If everything around that nonsense makes sense and seems complete, then you can just eliminate the junk. But, knowing for sure whether that is all junk can be a problem. If you are not sure, you can email the person who did the scan to send a rescan of the page. Also, there are many of us sighted volunteers that can check the book when Amazon or google books has a preview online or when it is available at a nearby library. There are 4 libraries within 10 miles of where I live, between them I've found some pretty obscure books (actually there are 3 other libraries at colleges, but I can only go there and look at books, they won't let me check them out).

Beyond merely fixing the text there is formatting chapter headings for easy DAISY navigation, dealing with page arangement of things like sidebars and footnotes in non-fiction books and much more that I will leave to the scanning and proofing manual to explain.

I hope you enjoy proofing for bookshare.

Misha

On 11/11/2012 8:25 PM, Angel Murphy wrote:
Yes Sue that's right. But I figured out how to do it. Thanks. But now I have another question to ask. When I am reading. What kind of mistakes am I looking for exactly?

Sent from my iPod

On Nov 11, 2012, at 11:06 PM, "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think what Angel is wanting to do is to set Jaws so that she will hear all punctuation in Word, but she does not want to hear it in other programs--for instance if she is reading a book for pleasure. Since I am a Braille only user, I can't answer her question. But is it possible for her to set Jaws so that she will only hear all the punctuation when proofing in Word?

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Martha Rafter
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:43 PM