[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is Anyone Scanning These?

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 01:12:54 -0400

Good question. Once you upload the book on the step 2 page, the manager of Bookshare looks at it as a sort of final check. His name is Gustavo, and he doesn't post on the list very often. He runs your book through a program that puts it into the format that regular members can get from Bookshare and then it goes live on the Bookshare site. Gerald and Jake know more about how it all works. This is just my limited understanding of how it works. Gustavo does a lot of work for Bookshare, so he isn't able to approve books each day. He does try to do it often though. If he thinks that something is wrong with one of the books in his admin queue, he'll return it to step 1 with a little note in the comments section to let people know what should be fixed before the book can be approved. That's the basic outline of how books make their way into the main collection.

Monica Willyard

On Wednesday 10/18/2006 12:57 AM, you wrote:
Thanks Monica.

So how does the book get submitted to the members of Bookshare to read instead of just to volunteers? If after I'm done with it it goes back for someone else to look at, how does it get through to members that don't volunteer to proofread? Just curious. Thanks to everyone for all the welcomes, and I'm having fun reading all of the messages on this list and hearing all of the advice that's given out.

MissWings