[bksvol-discuss] Re: Introductions

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:35:30 -0500

#
The Bookshare collection has many more books in it that were submitted by publishers than it has books that were supplied by volunteers. The books submitted by publishers is not determined by high demand though. It is a matter of which publishers have signed an agreement with Bookshare to supply their books.
On 1/15/2014 3:30 AM, Sensation Experience Official wrote:
Hi there,
So, first of all, a proofer who is unable to fix too many scannos will reject the book. Does Book Share ever get books directly from the author and or publisher if there is high demand for that given book? I will say this from previous experience. When I was scanning with my T.V.I, I would usually be able to enjoy reading the book I was not able to find on Bookshare or anywhere else like BARD or Learning Ally, but that would mean only I would get to enjoy it and I would not be able to share my enthusiasm with the Bookshare community. Also, I love using Bookshare a lot because it uses text-based reading, which BARD only provides in Braille, and everything else is audio-based. Think about the time you read an audio file and you found a word you didn't know how to spell. In audio, you wouldn't be able to figure it out except maybe by using phonetics. In text, it's way, way different and it's so much more easier to do. Anyhow, I'll submit my first scan some time this week after I fix what I can. Also, why does Bookshare have two scanning quality options if the scanned file may have more than two errors? Do proofers usually have a hard copy or electronic e Pub of the book to compare the print with the scanned file?
I guess I have a lot of questions, and more keep coming up as I write.
Warm regards,
-Al
On 1/14/2014 7:41 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
Excellent! On 2 counts. Scanners are not required to pre-proof but it is much appreciated and makes the proofer's job go more quickly, and if the submitted book has too many errors (not just a few minor scannos (aka misprinted words) the proofer will reject it. But also excellent because there are many more proofers than there are scanners and sometimes there are not enough books available to be proofread. (Some of us are physically unable to scan, much as we'd like to

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Sensation Experience Official <sensationexperience.official@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:sensationexperience.official@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,
    I am able to scan. I am actually proofing a book before I submit
    it, and yes, I already know scanners are not expected to proof
    before they submit, but I'd like to try it and see what I can fix
    for my first attempt.
    On 1/14/2014 3:30 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
     a heartfelt Welcome, Al. Are you only interested in proofing,
    or are you also able to scan?

    On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Sensation Experience Official
    <sensationexperience.official@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:sensationexperience.official@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Hello all,
        My name is Al (sometimes I can be seen as Ulysses), and I
        recently joined Bookshare Volunteering, although I have done
        some work in the past with a teacher of the visually
        impaired until I graduated from high school two years ago.
        I have a blog at http://sensationexperience.wordpress.com/
        I look forward to helping improve books as far as
        accessibility is concerned. I once asked, can blind
        volunteers join, and I received an answer saying that indeed
        they can, and that there are several ways to proofread using
        accessible technology.
        I use Non-Visual Desktop Access with Docu Scan Plus along
        with a demo version of Microsoft Word 2007 on a Windows
        Seven Home Premium Mac Book Pro using Boot Camp.
        Again, thanks for letting me be a part of the Bookshare
        volunteering community.
        Best,
        -Al
        <mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.
         To get a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by
        itself in the subject line.