[bksvol-discuss] Re: "Good" Book?

  • From: "Rik & Karen James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:44:34 -0600

Hi Marilyn,

Hooray for you, for coming on to spend your time and talent validating
submissions to Bookshare. Thank you and welcome.

The things you described about that book, sounded to me like it would not be
a pleasant reading experience.  When I first started getting books from
Bookshare, often there were so many books with all the scan errors, I was
not very happy.  But things have really improved.  And I think the community
which is us, as this is a membership little society, have only so much time,
and there is a lot of really great and important things to read.  And
reading for the blind is just like for anyone else.  The distraction of
jibberish is really a second class way to read, and whether I am reading a
book I downloaded, or now days scanning and submitting, or validating
others, I think the value of the best possible quality is what I'd like to
see all our members strive for, and insist upon.

So I would reject that book, state the reasons, and get another one to
validate.  Challenge yourself with a book submitted as excellent, ask
yourself how much an excellent rating means to you and to all of us when it
becomes a part of the collection.

Iguess having said that, it must be clear that I think accepting good
quality don't get it.  I think maybe Excellent Only is the way to go.  But
that is of course just my opinion.  Maybe that is extreme.

Thanks.
Rik

  _____