[bksvol-discuss] Re: For Our Newer Volunteers

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:16:45 EDT

Monica:
I'm not a volunteer quite yet but I'm going to be once I read the material I
fel I need to read. Thank you for the tip. When I start validating, I'll want
some easy ones at first. My prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Gail
Hi.  If you're knew to volunteering, I'd like to offer a suggestion
to you.  If you're looking for easy validations to get your feet wet
in understanding the process of validating books, you might want to
look at the books on the step 1 page to find ones that have been
scanned by Carrie Karnos.  She is sighted and works for
Bookshare.  Her scans are usually very easy to fix up, and you can
focus on learning things like how to validate a copyright and how to
do a basic integrity check on the book.  When you look at books on
the step 1 page, you can click the download link to go to a page with
information about the book including the submitter's name and the
text quality in the book.  You won't be assigned the book unless you
press the download button on that page.  So if you don't want to
validate that book, just choose the back option in your browser, alt
left arrow in Internet Explorer.
You might also want to look for books rated excellent at
first.  Books that are rated as fair are often difficult to fix, and
some of them should be rejected.  I spent six weeks struggling with a
book that one of the more experienced members of this list ended up
rejecting.  She was able to tell that it was unsalvageable within
about 30 minutes while I'd been going around in circles of
confusion.  (smile)  I didn't have the knowledge to tell which books
were too flawed to be saved back then.  Becoming a good validater is
like learning to play a musical instrument.  You start with easy
pieces and then move on as you become comfortable with your software
and abilities.  Before you know it, you become a master of your craft.
Monica
Visit my blog at: http://plumlipstick.livejournal.com
available
commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.