[bksvol-discuss] For Our Newer Volunteers

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:09:24 -0400

Hi. If you're knew to volunteering, I'd like to offer a suggestion to you. If you're looking for easy validations to get your feet wet in understanding the process of validating books, you might want to look at the books on the step 1 page to find ones that have been scanned by Carrie Karnos. She is sighted and works for Bookshare. Her scans are usually very easy to fix up, and you can focus on learning things like how to validate a copyright and how to do a basic integrity check on the book. When you look at books on the step 1 page, you can click the download link to go to a page with information about the book including the submitter's name and the text quality in the book. You won't be assigned the book unless you press the download button on that page. So if you don't want to validate that book, just choose the back option in your browser, alt left arrow in Internet Explorer.

You might also want to look for books rated excellent at first. Books that are rated as fair are often difficult to fix, and some of them should be rejected. I spent six weeks struggling with a book that one of the more experienced members of this list ended up rejecting. She was able to tell that it was unsalvageable within about 30 minutes while I'd been going around in circles of confusion. (smile) I didn't have the knowledge to tell which books were too flawed to be saved back then. Becoming a good validater is like learning to play a musical instrument. You start with easy pieces and then move on as you become comfortable with your software and abilities. Before you know it, you become a master of your craft.