[bksvol-discuss] Re: Flurry of truncated books -- Prophet of Doom byJames Mullaney

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:01:16 -0500

Mary,  the answer is yes and no.

I examined the book again, and it looks like all the text is there,  but
there are only a few page breaks.  Admittedly, there is a known problem
with K1K with not handling MS Word section-breaks when they are used as
page-breaks,  but this has been fixed in the driver I am using.  I do not
believe this is the problem here.
Perhaps the anonymous submitter of the book can post to the list so we can
assist him/her with configuring the OCR package used,  to generate page
breaks correctly.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/12/2004 11:44 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

"bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Flurry of truncated books -- Prophet of Doom by James
Mullaney

Guido,
Is there a chance that the books in question aren't truncated, but are
being improperly paginated by K1k? That is, K1k told you page 32, but its
really a much later page number, and k1k had put several pages onto
one of its pages? I had a book recently open in k1k and was astounded to
learn that the book just opened was supposedly over 2400 pages in length.
Now that would be a hell of a scan job. But of course, the book
isn't really that long. K1k just flipped out for whatever reason and
seriously screwed up the pagination.
Mary