[bksvol-discuss] FW: Kind words from a happy member

  • From: Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:45:58 +0000

Kuddos to our wonderful volunteers!  Thanks for all the great work you do.  You
truly make a difference.

This came into Salesforce from "Anonymous" - enjoy!

Helen Keller once described literature as her utopia, books, her friends. As I
discovered the joy of reading for myself, I too came to share this sentiment.
Braille books saved me from the isolation and despair threatening to consume me
following the day in the fifth grade when my world suddenly grew dark and
silent forever. I became an insatiable reader. All too soon, however, I
realized the frustration and disappointment others have described: not all
books are accessible to one who reads with her fingers.

You, BookShare, help to change this reality for those of us who read other
formats, and I am inexpressibly grateful. With my portable Braille computer, I
can quickly and easily download literature and read to my heart's content. Be
it a required text for class, cookbook or other instructional guide, classic or
latest best-seller, fiction or nonfiction, chances are that one of BookShare's
volunteers has generously taken the time to scan it and upload it to the online
library. This access to books has given me a wonderful opportunity: to flourish
despite my disability. I can enlighten my mind, enliven my spirit, and, in a
way, experience what I never could. In this world, in which I am at an inherent
disadvantage, I may participate, and, one day perhaps, contribute to its
betterment. My heart is content, thanks to you, BookShare.