[bksvol-discuss] FW: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Trade and Reference, Has Signed Our Agreement

  • From: Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:32:50 -0800

From: Robin Seaman
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:13 PM
To: Bookshare Team
Subject: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Trade and Reference, Has Signed Our
Agreement

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, the acclaimed publisher of fiction, nonfiction,
nature guides, cookbooks, children's books and reference guides, based in
Boston, Massachusetts, has signed our agreement for their Trade and Reference
Division.  We will be distributing their titles in the U.S. only, although they
have given us rights to distribute internationally in countries where we have
official nonprofit status.  They have advised us that once a smooth working
relationship has been established with the Trade and Reference Division, they
will approach their K-12 Division (one of the Big Three in K-12 publishing)
about making their core textbooks available through Bookshare.

HMH has a backlist of over 8,000 titles, of which 2,366 titles have been
converted to EPUB and have just been uploaded by LibreDigital (who delivers
S&S, HarperCollins, and Harlequin titles to Bookshare) with metadata in ONIX
delivered by Firebrand.  They publish 400 books a year.

In addition, under our agreement, we will be receiving titles from HMH's two
digital distribution clients, Harvard Common Press (cookbooks and parenting)
and Zest Books (edgy nonfiction books for teens).

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt traces its roots back to 1832, when William Ticknor
and James Fields established a publishing company that by the mid-nineteenth
century included some of the most renowned names in American literature, from
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow to Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Harriet
Beecher Stowe, Mark Twain, and Henry David Thoreau.  Over the decades, Houghton
Mifflin has published Willa Cather, Carson McCullers, Philip Roth, Paul
Theroux, Robert Stone, Jhumpa Lahiri, and Jonathan Safran Foer - and the estate
of J.R.R. Tolkien. With the acquisition of Harcourt Education in 2007, they
inherited a list dating back to 1919 that included Sinclair Lewis, Virginia
Woolf, George Orwell, C. S. Lewis, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Robert Lowell, T.
S. Eliot, and Robert Penn Warren.  In 1961, Helen and Kurt Wolff became
Harcourt's co-publishers, bringing in such luminaries as Günter Grass, Hannah
Arendt, and Konrad Lorenz.  A mainstay of literature in translation, Harcourt
later published such celebrated international authors as Italo Calvino, Umberto
Eco, A.B. Yehoshua, and Nobel Prize winners Octavio Paz and José Saramago.  HMH
also publishes the American Heritage® dictionaries, the Best American® series,
and the Peterson Field Guides.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group publishes such great
contemporary authors and illustrators as Chris Van Allsburg, Lois Lowry, Steve
Jenkins, Joyce Sidman, Brian Lies, Sy Montgomery, and Allen Say. Houghton
Mifflin is also home to some of the best-loved children's book characters:
Curious George, Lyle the Crocodile, George and Martha, Martha of Martha Speaks,
and Tacky the Penguin.
HMH Publishing
http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/home

About Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/home/about

About Harvard Common Press (Boston)
http://www.harvardcommonpress.com/

About Zest Books (San Francisco)
http://www.zestbooks.net/store/

Robin

Robin Seaman | Director of Content Acquisition | Bookshare, A Benetech
Initiative
480 S. California Avenue, Suite 201, Palo Alto, CA 94306 | (650) 644-3412
www.bookshare.org<http://www.bookshare.org> |
www.benetech.org<http://www.benetech.org/>