[bksvol-discuss] Re: FW: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Trade and Reference, Has Signed Our Agreement

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:56:35 -0800 (PST)

I echo Debby's comment. The addition of cookbooks will, I think, be
particularly welcome, since they are so hard to scan and proof.
Cindy

>________________________________

 publishing) about making their core textbooks available through Bookshare.

>> HMH has a backlist of over 8,000 titles, of which 2,366 titles have been
>> converted to EPUB and have just been uploaded by LibreDigital (who delivers
>> S&S, HarperCollins, and Harlequin titles to Bookshare) with metadata in ONIX
>> delivered by Firebrand.  They publish 400 books a year.
>>
>> In addition, under our agreement, we will be receiving titles from HMH’s two
>> digital distribution clients, Harvard Common Press (cookbooks and parenting)
>> and Zest Books (edgy nonfiction books for teens).
>>
>> Houghton Mifflin Harcourt traces its roots back to 1832, when William
>> Ticknor and James Fields established a publishing company that by the
>> mid-nineteenth century included some of the most renowned names in American
>> literature, from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow to Ralph Waldo Emerson,
>> Nathaniel Hawthorne, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Mark Twain, and
 Henry David Thoreau.  Over the decades, Houghton Mifflin has published Willa
Cather, Carson McCullers, Philip Roth, Paul Theroux, Robert Stone, Jhumpa
Lahiri, and Jonathan Safran Foer – and the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. With the
acquisition of Harcourt Education in 2007, they inherited a list dating back to
1919 that included Sinclair Lewis, Virginia Woolf, George Orwell, C. S. Lewis,
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Robert Lowell, T. S. Eliot, and Robert Penn Warren.
In 1961, Helen and Kurt Wolff became Harcourt's co-publishers, bringing in such
luminaries as Günter Grass, Hannah Arendt, and Konrad Lorenz.  A mainstay of
literature in translation, Harcourt later published such celebrated
international authors as Italo Calvino, Umberto Eco, A.B. Yehoshua, and Nobel
Prize winners Octavio Paz and José Saramago.  HMH also publishes the American
Heritage® dictionaries, the Best American® series, and the Peterson Field
Guides.

>> Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group publishes such great
>> contemporary authors and illustrators as Chris Van Allsburg, Lois Lowry,
>> Steve Jenkins, Joyce Sidman, Brian Lies, Sy Montgomery, and Allen Say.
>> Houghton Mifflin is also home to some of the best-loved children's book
>> characters: Curious George, Lyle the Crocodile, George and Martha, Martha of
>> Martha Speaks, and Tacky the Penguin.
>> HMH Publishing
>> <http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/home>http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/home
>>
>> About Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
>> <http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/home/about>http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/home/about
>>
>> About Harvard Common Press (Boston)
>> <http://www.harvardcommonpress.com/>http://www.harvardcommonpress.com/
>>
>> About Zest Books (San Francisco)
>> <http://www.zestbooks.net/store/>http://www.zestbooks.net/store/
>>

>> Robin
>>
>> _____________________________________
>> Robin Seaman | Director of Content Acquisition | Bookshare, A Benetech
>> Initiative
>> 480 S. California Avenue, Suite 201, Palo Alto, CA 94306 | (650) 644-3412
>> <http://www.bookshare.org>www.bookshare.org | www.benetech.org
>>

>                                --
>                mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>--
>The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours
>forth foolishness.
>Proverbs 15:2 NKJV
>
>“Teach me, and I will hold my tongue
>; Cause me to understand wherein I have erred.
>Job 6:24 NKJV

>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
>available commands, put the word 'help' by
 itself in the subject line.