[bksvol-discuss] Difficulty Levels of Books

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:15:37 -0700

Folks,

Over the years we have discovered that certain features in books are more
difficult for scanners and their OCR software to render accurately. These are
the basis of the  categories of difficulty that we assign to books. For example
it is rare to find a book as simple as Level 1 with text, page number, and no
running headers on each page. At the other end of the spectrum it takes several
months for an outsourcer, who can assign a team to a single textbook, to do a
Level 5 or 6. Most often you find yourselves doing Levels 2 and 3 books.

As a refresher  course below I list the distinctions we make between different
levels.

Scott Rains

Levels of Complexity for Scanning or Proofreading a Book

Levels are assigned to all books, to determine their overall difficulty in
proofing. 1 is the easiest type of book to proof, and 6 is the hardest. The
time it takes to proof a book depends on its level and its length.

Level 1: The book has only text, chapter numbers, and page numbers, in a
standard font.

Level 2: The book has running headers or footers, in a standard font, on at
least half the pages.

Level 3: The book has page numbers or running headers in a non-standard font,
footnotes, superscripts, captions, charts, or more than a few words in a
foreign language, poems, or pictures.

Level 3.5: The book has pictures that need to be described. This is mostly used
for childrens’ picture books.

Level 4: The book has many words in a foreign language, many pictures, many
charts, or insets.

Level 5: The book has many areas of separate text on eachpage, formulas, text
that forces scans with differing brightness (like different colors), or heavily
formatted text.

Level 6: The book has text in a non-standard font (which forces the book to be
retyped), text at a non-horizontal angle, or massively formatted text.