[bksvol-discuss] Re: Chapter headings and page numbers

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:48:34 -0400

There is a Bookshare tool that processes each book as it is loaded into the library. One of its jobs is to automatically move page numbers at the bottom of pages to the top of the page. You should not have to move them yourself. I am mostly a submitter rather than a proofreader, but I do a certain amount of preproofing anyway and since I am going to be reading each page from top to bottom anyway I ordinarily move the page numbers to the top without it being much effort. When some page numbers are already at the top and others are not I am not sure I trust the tools to be smart enough to get it right, but use your own judgement. I think you should be pretty safe leaving them at the bottom. As for the headings of the appendices, I think I would treat them like chapter headings. At least that is the way I would want it as a reader.
On 8/18/2015 9:33 PM, Mitchell Evan wrote:

I'm a new proofreader here. Most pages in my book start with a page number, like this:

24

and the text of the page goes on...

So far so good. But the first page of a chapter reads like this:

4

What's Next for a Chapter Title

The page number appears at to the *bottom* of the page, just for the first page of each chapter. Should I leave it as-is? Or move the page number to the top, above the chapter number? Or something else?

Another question. I have appendices, at the same level as chapters in the table of contents. When I get to the first page of an appendix, I have the equivalent of a chapter title, but it's split onto two lines. My guess is I should leave these as two lines, and mark both lines as a chapter heading (16 point bold). Or is there a better way? Example:

Appendix II
Proclamation by the New Zealand Parliament...

Thanks,
Mitchell

--

Mitchell Evan