[bksvol-discuss] Chapter headings and page numbers

  • From: Mitchell Evan <mtchllvn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 01:33:12 +0000

I'm a new proofreader here. Most pages in my book start with a page number,
like this:

24

and the text of the page goes on...

So far so good. But the first page of a chapter reads like this:

4

What's Next for a Chapter Title

The page number appears at to the *bottom* of the page, just for the first
page of each chapter. Should I leave it as-is? Or move the page number to
the top, above the chapter number? Or something else?

Another question. I have appendices, at the same level as chapters in the
table of contents. When I get to the first page of an appendix, I have the
equivalent of a chapter title, but it's split onto two lines. My guess is I
should leave these as two lines, and mark both lines as a chapter heading
(16 point bold). Or is there a better way? Example:

Appendix II
Proclamation by the New Zealand Parliament...

Thanks,
Mitchell
--

Mitchell Evan