[bksvol-discuss] Re: Chapter Title Question - Follow Up

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:47:33 -0400

Frankly, I'm not sure that I am convinced that adding the word chapter does anything to the copyrighted material. It is the text of the book that is copyrighted, not formatting issues. I mean, removing the page headers doesn't remove anything that is copyrighted. Joining broken words at the ends and beginning of pages doesn't change any thing that is copyrighted. For that matter, even titles are not copyrighted. I know that because of something I read by Isaac Asimov once. He had published one book through one publisher and he was about to publish another book on the same general topic through another publisher. He wanted to use the original title and add the words volume two to it. He said that titles were not copyrighted, so he could have done it anyway, but to be polite he asked the original publisher for permission to use the original title. They denied him the permission and so he had to come up with another title even though he could have still done it. He didn't want to antagonize one of his publishers. But if the word chapter actually might change copyrighted material then why couldn't we just put that word in brackets? We do that when we want to indicate a blank page. We do that when we describe an image. I don't understand why the word chapter should be so different.

___

Carl Sagan “It seems to me what is called for is an exquisite balance between two conflicting needs: the most skeptical scrutiny of all hypotheses that are served up to us and at the same time a great openness to new ideas. Obviously those two modes of thought are in some tension. But if you are able to exercise only one of these modes, whichever one it is, you’re in deep trouble. If you are only skeptical, then no new ideas make it through to you. You never learn anything new. You become a crotchety old person convinced that nonsense is ruling the world. (There is, of course, much data to support you.) But every now and then, maybe once in a hundred cases, a new idea turns out to be on the mark, valid and wonderful. If you are too much in the habit of being skeptical about everything, you are going to miss or resent it, and either way you will be standing in the way of understanding and progress. On the other hand, if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense in you, then you cannot distinguish the useful as from the worthless ones.” ― Carl Sagan
On 4/13/2021 2:08 AM, Lissi wrote:

Dear Roger and Booksharian Friends,

I feel so regretful about not being allowed to indicate chapters and parts by their names as it handicaps braille readers. I have no idea how to get a book on my packmate other than downloading it as a BRF file. If it can be done, I would appreciate the instructions be published on this list where I’ll be able to find them.

Meanwhile, I’ll reluctantly and gloomily comply having no choice. I still believe publishers could readily understand the need for braille readers to have clearly identified chapters , parts and sections to facilitate navigating in an uncomplicated way.

Having a choice between complying and being excluded from volunteering I will comply.

Those approving books need not go to extra lengths to police my proofreading as once I’ve publicly agreed to dofollow the current demands, I can be trusted to do so.

Always with love, especially when I’m saddened,

Lissi