[bksvol-discuss] Re: Catalog Entries at Beginning of Chapters

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:53:30 -0400

Let's wait to see what others have to say, but I was kind of flummoxed by those catalog entries myself when I scanned the book. The catalog entries themselves do not seem to be separated by any blank lines and so It was a bit hard to tell where one ended and another one began. But I also wonder what should be done at the ending of the catalog entries. The text of the chapter then begins and seems to have nothing to do with the catalog entries that just preceded it. I am wondering if there should be stars between that and the beginning of the chapter. Also, should the catalog entries be considered to be chapter titles and so enlarged and bolded. If so that would make for some very long chapter titles. At the end of the book in an afterword it is explained that the entries come from a Sears catalog of the nineteenth century. Since the story does deal with old Sears catalogs, but none that old they really do not seem to have much to do with the book at all. I would have preferred it if the author had left them out. That would have made for easier scanning.
On 9/12/2016 9:18 PM, Kristen wrote:

Hi-

I am currently proofing a book that contains a catalog entry at the beginning of each chapter. It is directly under the chapter heading and on the same page as the text. Would you separate these entries somehow, such as with asterisks before and after, or leave them as is? Here is one example:

Chapter 1

HAMMOCKS

No. 82155. Hammocks, close woven body, cotton weave, in bright fancy colors, mostly red mixed with other bright colors, wide balance on each side, with pillow, 42x84 inch, heavy and strong. Each... $3.75.

It was one of those hot, leaden, overcast days, typical of northeast Ohio, that made Clare Bower feel as if she were inside a big steel bowl instead of outdoors ...

Thanks for any input,
--
Kristen
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.