[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books with outdated information

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 01:20:07 -0700 (PDT)

I guess what bothered me about those books--not histories or other kinds of
nonfiction books where it really doesn't matter when it was written--is that
someone reading it would have a completely wrong impression of what the
situation is today. Reading an autobiography or essay by someone living and
writing at the time is different. I understand your points of view as scholars
and people interested in knowing what others living at other periods of time
thought, but if, for example, a high school or middle school student was
assigned to write a paper on South Africa or the prison system and chose one of
those two books as his main source, he wouldn't get a very good grade or
knowledge.

Yes, Carrie--I thought of censorship, which I don't like either, but...

Anyway, I bow to everyone's opinions. smile

AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/

http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/