[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books with outdated information

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:21:53 -0700

Cindy:

While your points are well taken, the other side of this coin is that
although outdated by current standards, these books may provide
valuable historical information about earlier time periods. That sort
of info could be a gold mine for some1 doing research. Just a thought,
of course.

On 8/7/08, Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know what the bookshare policy is about including nonfiction books
> that may have outdated information, and I've asked Carrie if she can find
> out. Libraries, school and public, periodically go through their collections
> and pull books that haven't circulated for a certain number of years and/or
> have outdated information because they need the space for newer books. That
> isn't the case, of course, for an electronic library like bookshare, but I
> seriously question the value of time spent scanning and validating books
> that may have facts and information that is no longer valid. I bring this up
> because two books added today to the collection, Move Your Shadow-South
> Africa, Black and White  by Joseph Lelyveld and Doing Time: A Look at Crime
> and Prisons  by Phyllis Elperin Clark, Robert Lehrman I wonder about. I
> haven't read them, but looking at their copyright dates (and I think maybe
> that of the former might be incorrect--without looking at the
>  copyright page, the information I've found indicates that the book was
> copyrighted in 1985, not 1995) my impression is that circumstances in South
> Africa are quite different now than 10 or 20 years ago, and that there have
> also been changes in the prison system in the last 20 years.
>
> My suggestion would be that submitters and validators consider whether it's
> worth their time and energy to scan and/or validate books that a print
> library probably would discard. JMO
>
> Cindy
>
> ***WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS
> AVAILABLE AT
> http://people.delphiforums.com/jamiecalton/Book_Requests.htm
> http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
> http://studentpages.alma.edu/~07jmyate/book_requests.htm
>
> A LIST OF BOOKS CURRENTLY BEING SCANNED IS AVAILABLE AT
> http://people.delphiforums.com/jamiecalton/scanning.html
> http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
>
> Jake's site for useful links: http://www.jbrownell.com/bkslinks.html

Change the world--1 deed at a time