[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books with outdated information

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 22:41:05 EDT

My point exactly. I remember reading The Revolution Betrayed by Leon  Trotsky
with immense interest even though he was describing the situation in The
Soviet Union in the 1930's long before I was born and there is no doubt at all
that at the time of my reading that situation had considerably changed. In a
message dated 8/7/2008 7:22:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, abletec@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

Cindy:

While your points are well taken, the other side of this  coin is that
although outdated by current standards, these books may  provide
valuable historical information about earlier time periods. That  sort
of info could be a gold mine for some1 doing research. Just a  thought,
of course.

On 8/7/08, Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> I don't know what the bookshare policy is about including  nonfiction books
> that may have outdated information, and I've asked  Carrie if she can find
> out. Libraries, school and public, periodically  go through their
collections
> and pull books that haven't circulated  for a certain number of years and/or
> have outdated information because  they need the space for newer books. That
> isn't the case, of course,  for an electronic library like bookshare, but I
> seriously question the  value of time spent scanning and validating books
> that may have facts  and information that is no longer valid. I bring this
up
> because two  books added today to the collection, Move Your Shadow-South
> Africa,  Black and White  by Joseph Lelyveld and Doing Time: A Look at
Crime

--
Change the world--1 deed at a  time
Jackie McBride
put the word 'unsubscribe' by  itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the  word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
)