[bksvol-discuss] Re: Blank Pages was: RE: Re: Don't worry! and 2 questions

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:52:52 -0400

Except in preliminary material, blank pages usually occur between sections of a book. So if I, as a submitter or validator, am doing what I should and protecting headers, a reader would know that a new section is beginning, so if a page just before that doesn't have anything on it, except a page number, then it seems pretty obvious that it was blank. If a page has a picture or other material that doesn't scan, I don't leave it blank, but instead put some indication that the page wasn't blank, but that it had material that didn't scan. I just did this with one of the most recent books I scanned, where two facing pages had a map on it. I made a note on each page that they contained a map.

I'm not sure I understand what Monica is saying here about the stripper as her reason for indicating blank pages, since the stripper doesn't remove page breaks.

I'm not dogmatic about things. I'm always open to reconsidering how I do nearly anything, so I may change my mind and start indicating blank pages in the future. But at the moment, it still seems to me to be a bit condescending to put indications of blank pages in a book for Bookshare users when the publishers of the originals for sighted people don't seem to feel that it's necessary to have them.

The readers of RFB&D books usually indicate blank pages, but NLS braille books do not. So it may have something to do with whether someone is listening to a book or has a book with actual pages.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>