[bksvol-discuss] Re: Asterisks

  • From: "Yahoo" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "scootergirlred" for DMARC)
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 14:35:04 -0800

What do you mean by a break in the text?  When there is a blank space?

Barbara

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On February 2, 2016 9:54:31 AM Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm so sorry for the all of the confusion that asterisks have caused. I have met with our Collection Development team to come up with one rule that both volunteers, vendors, and staff will follow from now on.

Asterisks should only be used to show a break in the text. One single asterisk may be used to show a very large break, a doodad, or decorative object in the text used to show a new speaker, a change of scene, etc. It should not be used to separate chapter titles from the text, whether or not they start partway down the page or don't have the word "chapter" in front of them.

There may be exceptions to this rule, but please contact me or the collection development team before guessing.

As always, we are dedicated to making sure that Bookshare volunteers, staff, and vendors are on the same page (heh, sorry) with instructions. We want to make the process as consistent as possible so that we ensure the highest quality books for our members. We take into account changes in the conversion process, better understanding of our reading tools and members' wishes, as well as copyright law when making this kind of decision.

Best,

Madeleine Linares
Volunteer Coordinator
Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative