[bksvol-discuss] Another Stripper Question

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 19:06:46 -0700

Dear Folks,

I have a quandary that is perfectly suited to the collective experience of the
people here.

I have a book here with page numbers at the bottom of the page, not at the top.
 I am wondering if I should move them to the top.  The book has no headers at
the top of each page, and I would not be at all surprised if the stripper
removed the first line of text from each page if it doesn't see something like
a page number above it.  I have seen it remove titles at the beginnings of
chapters when there was nothing above the title, even though all the headers at
the tops of the other pages were removed.  I like to leave the book as close to
the original as possible, but I don't trust that stripper as far as I could
throw the computer it's running on.  Clearly, it does not just look for
repeated text on successive pages that would indicate the presence of a header.

What do people think?  Should I play it safe and move the page numbers? or can
any of the more technically knowledgeable people here give me any assurance
that leaving the page numbers where they are will not result in the first line
of text from every page being removed if there is nothing above it except a
page break and a blank line, which is the way it looks right now?

Thanks for any guidance.