[bksvol-discuss] Re: Accessing bookshare books using Kurzweil

  • From: "Bob W" <rwiley45@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 00:19:03 -0500

Believe it or not, I went for six months typing the password six times for each
book. So, I guess that's not so strange.

Larry's method works fine. But, I like to see the newest books, the short
synopsis, and anything else from the bookshare site. So, I do things
differently.

I am using windows xp sp3, internet explorer 8 and kurzweil v12.

I'll give general instructions, and if you need more detailed help, just ask.

Go to a book on the bookshare website which you want to download, and choose
"download in daisy".
Save the book somewhere on your hard drive. I save mine in the books folder of
"Kurzweil educational systems". After you've saved all the books you want,
close the website.
Go to the "my documents" section of your computer, find the "kurzweil education
systems" then find the books section under that.
Find the first book you just downloaded. It should have a .zip extension. Since
you don't want it to have a .zip extension, you need to extract all the files
in to a regular folder. It's usually easiest if you leave the folder in the
"kurzweil educational system \ books" folder.

There are several ways to extract files from a .zip file. I prefer the
extraction tools that comes with windows. If you need help with this let me
know. Nonetheless, whichever method you choose you should have to enter the
password once.
Once the files have been successfully extracted, delete your original .zip
file. It's no longer needed.

Now open Kurzweil, and find your book in the books folder.  Open the .opf
file,You should not have to enter any passwords.

To save the book as a .kes file, go to the file  menu,  arrow down to "save as"
and press enter.
Leave the filename alone, tab once to the file type which should be daisy. Down
arrow twice to .kes and press enter.

That's it.

Questions? Let me know.

Bob