[bksvol-discuss] Accessing bookshare books using Kurzweil

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:05:35 -0400

Hi everyone,

I have a question, smile.

I have a student who is a new member to Bookshare and wants a reasonable way to
access books and other printed materials.

We tried downloading and opening a Bookshare Daisy book in Kurzweil version
11.0, and it was a bit um difficult.  She picked the .opf file, and typed in
the password, but then she needed to type in the password six more times to get
the book opened.  Once it was opened and we reviewed bookmarks she was ol.k.

She also wanted to know how to save it as a Kurzweil book so she doesn't have
to keep typing in passwords.

What am I or my student doing wrong, is there a more efficient way to access a
daisy book using Kurzweil, does she need to update Kurzweil to find a patch to
solve the problem?

I have to be honest I use my book courier to access Bookshare books and just
recently purchased a Booksense, for the purpose so I don't use the Kurzweil
method.

CCan someone give me some pointers or suggestions on how to improve this for my
student.

I have recommended a Booksense, but I don't know if it will be purchased or not.

We shall see.

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A. CVRT
and Ludden black Labrador Guide Dog.

Diamonds may be a woman's best friend, but a dog is mine.
?