[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Question about a bookshare textbook, not sure whether I should submit a quality report or not

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kaur.nimit@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 07:38:48 -0400

Hi all,

Nimit, yes, I have a suggestion, actually a couple.

One, when you're using your work-book, turn punctuation to full. Turn it off when you get out of the book.

Two, connect your Braille display when doing assignments in your work-book. this is the easiest and most practical solution, especially for a vocabulary lesson. It is important for you to see the word in Braille so you know how to spell it, whether it is a hyphenated word and so on.

Sometimes ya gotta adapt in order to get something done. Since Bookshare is using the punctuation which is in the printed text, (it is against Bookshare rules to change text.), you don't have a reason to send a quality report.

Now of course if you *really* want to do it, and if your Jaws announces the dashes instead of the underscores when punctuation is set to some, you can edit your own copy of the bookshare text and change the punctuation. However, that's just busy work, and you could do much better with the solutions I offered above.

Sorry, but those am the facts of life. There's a difference between inconvenience and a real access issue. Glad you asked, though. It's important to be able to distinguish between the two. In one case, you must make adjustments to the way in which you use your adaptive equipment to use the book effectively. In the second, something must be done by others in order for you to use the book effectively. <smiling> Nimit, my friend, this is one of those "growing up moments". Your "Auntie Ann" thinks you're doing great!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring