[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Comment on the Analogy

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:02:58 -0500

Patricia,

If the OCR software has problems determining how much space is between two
letters or two words, then it can run words together or split a word into
two words.

Words also get run together sometimes when the OCR software is unable to
recognize a hyphen in a hyphenated word and leaves it out.

The random hyphens may be caused by the OCR software not maintaining an
exact copy of the text.  If the OCR software does not place a carriage
return at the end of each line on a page, then words which are hyphenated
because they fall at the end of a line and are then continued on the next
line can end up on the same line separated by the hyphen and the whitespace
that the OCR puts at the end of the line to prevent the last word on a line
and the first word of the next line from being run together.

Gerald