[bksvol-discuss] Re: 2 questions for the gang

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 03:34:48 -0800

Hi, Valerie, a Regency romance is one that usually takes place in the
British Isles about the time when Napoleon was reigning in France and making
Great Britain and the rest of Europe nervous. At the same time George III
was apparently mad and his son known as the Prince Regent or "Prinny" was
acting as regent for his father (the time period is from 1800 to about 1820.
If you're reading this sort of novel, you will read about the slang,
manners, fashions, of the time. The upper class is concerned with making a
good match, etc. Georgette Heyer was possibly the first author of Regency
romances. William Makepeace Thackeray wrote Vanity Fair which probably takes
place around this time, but it certainly feels different from a Regency
romance. Prior to this time period are what is called Georgian romances
which take place during the eighteenth century. Heyer wrote those also as
well as Patricia Veryan, etc. Very fun to read if you're fascinated by
history, mores, interesting language, etc. Regards, Kim.

  _____