[biztech-discussion] Re: Prioritiization - Privacy

  • From: Ann Thryft <athryft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:43:20 -0700

Last Thursday, I read news stories saying that SBC had struck a deal with the
striking CWA
workers (who were striking in part because of SBC's offshoring activities).
According to the
CWA website press release, "the settlement...calls for the rehiring of several
hundred workers
who had been laid off at SBC Southwest and SBC Midwest..." and "CWA and SBC
agreed to work
together to bring back tech support jobs from overseas when the current
outsourcing agreement
with Accenture expires." SBC-generated news, of course, does not even mention
the repatriation
of offshored jobs.
http://www.cwa-union.org/news/PressReleaseDisplay.asp?ID=428

This appears to be a historic first--or at least one of only a few such
victories--in the
recent history of offshoring in the U.S. Workers struck and won their jobs
back! Awesome!

Isn't this what we are trying to achieve? Get those offshored jobs back?
If so, isn't there something we can gain from this victory? Wouldn't it be more
productive to
start working in solidarity with CWA and other unions, either in supporting
them or trying to
learn from them?

Is there some reason no one responded to my previous post about this subject?
Is there
something I'm missing here? Please, let me know on- or off-list.

Thanks,
Ann Thryft