[birdky] se Kentucky report

  • From: dtrently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:13:42 -0400

Sorry for this late report, but, hopefully, better late than never.

Last Sunday, June 1, my brother, Allan Trently, and I did some birding in
Harlan County in southeastern Kentucky. This was the first visit there for
both of us - and we both agree we'd like to go back!

We started by driving over Black Mountain, with a few birding stops, as we
headed toward Kingdom Come State Park, then back over Black Mountain with more
birding. Here's our list:

Kingdom Come SP (10:00 a.m. - 2:40 p.m.)
(sorry, I didn't count numbers, just recorded species)
Quite a nice variety of habitat types, including some thick rhododendron where
we hoped to find Canada Warbler, or maybe even a Swainson's (any ever reported
from here?) but we did not.

Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
N Flicker
Acadian Flycatcher
Blue Jay
American Crow
Common Raven (at least one)
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
Wood Thrush
Cedar Waxwing
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Green W
Yellow-throated W
Pine W
Black-and-white W
Worm-eating Warblers - Interesting behavior of these birds. Male was singing a
song very unlike the typical insect-like song. There were at least three of
these birds in one area, chasing each other.
Ovenbird
Hooded Warbler
Indigo Bunting
E Towhee

for those interested, we recorded some of the wildflowers we found:
Lily-leaved Twayblade (Liparis lilifolia)
Pale Corydalis (Corydalis sempervirens)
Narrow-leaved Houstonia
Whorled Loosestrife
Indian Cucumber
Alum root
Galax
Four-leaved Milkweed

At Black Mountain, we stopped at several pullouts on the sides of the road, as
well as walked up the road at the Virginia/Kentucky border. We didn't know if
it was ok to drive up that road so we walked - and were rewarded for doing so!
Great birding along the road.

Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Barred Owls - 2 juveniles still with downy feathers, near the end of the paved
road
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
N Flicker
E Wood-Pewee
Least Flycatcher - also near the end of the paved road
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
American Robin
Veery - many!
Wood Thrush
Gray Catbird
Blue-headed Vireo - nest with 4 young being fed
Yellow-throated Vireo - 1
Red-eyed Vireo - including 2 building a nest
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia W
Black-throated Blue W
Black-throated Green W
Blackburnian W
Cerulean W
Black-and-white W
American Redstart
Worm-eating W
Ovenbird
Hooded W
Scarlet Tanager
Indigo Bunting
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - at least 10
E Towhee
Dark-eyed Junco
American Goldfinch

Along the road in between the state park and the Mountain, we added several
other species, including Yellow Warbler.

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN
dtrently@xxxxxxx