[birdky] nuthatch feeder favorites

  • From: frankrenfrow@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:53:21 -0500

In addition to providing?black oil sunflower seed, both White-breasted and
Red-breasted Nuthatches can be attracted to feeding stations by the addition of
a suet feeder and also a shelled peanut feeder. I have found that the peanuts
actually attract all of?the same woodpeckers and nuthatches that use the suet.
Consequently,?I have dispensed with the mess of using suet and now just stick
with the peanuts. One has a better chance of getting these species to your
feeding station if there is a good component of woods in the general vicinty,
but even?Red-breasted Nuthatches will visit feeding stations?in large urban
areas, no problem, as long as there are some trees, especially
conifers,?around.

Frank Renfrow
Fort Thomas, KY
http://webmail.aol.com