[birdky] RPT:Falls of the Ohio and Ohio river Louisville:Black Scoters

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:26:30 -0500

I went to the Falls of the Ohio and the Indiana side of the river this morning
and evening and found quite alot of birds.  The highlight was 2 fem./imm. Black
Scoters to the East of the Big Four bridge that were the first birds I saw
through the scope before I even got out of the car this evening.  I was
attempting to relocate a small flock of Herring Gulls that I saw this moring
but rain and poor light made viewing difficult.  I was thinking that one of the
imm. looked larger and paler below like a 1st yr. Greater Black-bk. Gull but
too far and too much condensation on scope. others were:

6 Gadwall
2 Pintail-with flock of scaup on river
1 fem. Canvasback
pos. Readhead but too far out to know for sure
Scaup sp.- alarge flock of about 60+ birds appeared to contain a few Greater
Bufflehead- 16 this morning/ 6 this afternoon
2 Red-br. Merganser fem.
Ruddy Duck- scattered up and down the river est. 15+
Horned Grebe scattered in little flocks but probably numbering at least 50
Bonaparte's Gulls scattered up and down the river prob. 22 conservatively

Great Blue Heron at dusk sitting on railing at Waterfront Park- I was chasing a
good congregation of 500+ gulls hanging out in front of Louisville waterfront

gettin' interesting get out there and keep a lookout

Good Birding,
Michael Autin
Louisville