[birdky] bird slides

  • From: Roberta Burnes <rburnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:00:30 -0500

Hello,

I have a strange request (well, strange to those of you who are younger
than, say, 40).  I am doing a nature journaling workshop here at The
Arboretum this Saturday and want to do an activity that requires some slides
of birds, common back yard birds in Kentucky.  Yes, I said "slides" - those
ancient things that go in machines called "slide projectors".  You see, we
do not own a Power Point projector or laptop here and, for that matter, it's
too much trouble to set up for what I want to do.

What I would like to do is show a slide of, say, a chickadee.  I would show
it for 10 seconds, and ask participants to sketch it as best they can from
that brief, ten second look.  Then I would show it for 20 seconds, then 30,
then a whole minute.  The object of the exercise is to get people to
observe, to be looking for the most obvious field marks - not to worry about
realism but identifying characteristics they could use to later tell what it
was they saw.

So what I would like to know is, does anyone have maybe four or five
different bird slides I could borrow, just for this workshop on Saturday?
You could either send them to me or if you're close to Lexington I could
come and pick them up.  Let me know . I've made phone calls to the
University but haven't yet reached a real person.  Thanks!

Roberta Burnes
The Arboretum
Lexington, KY
859/257-9339