[birdky] RPT: Long-tailed Duck and W-w Scoters

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:19:42 -0500

I took a long lunch this afternoon and rode over to Lexington in hopes
that the Lexington reservoir Long-tailed Duck would still be around. She
was right there loafing with a mixed-species flock of P-b Grebes, Lesser
Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, and Ruddy Ducks. Also visible from the causway
at the end of Lakeshore Drive were a few Horned Grebes, a female Common
Goldeneye, and commoners. I talked to two residents of the residential
area there and both said it was OK to scope for waterfowl from the
causway; I parked on a side street just before the private drive causway
begins.

On another note, while I was in Lexington, Eddie Huber called to report
TWELVE (12) White-winged Scoters on the Ohio River above the abandoned
Big-4 railroad bridge at Louisville; this is a new KY high count ...
what is up with all the W-w Scoters ? ? ? Ken Brock told me that he
attributes high numbers in northern Indiana to a greater-than-normal
fall migration up on Lake Michigan. Apparently one of the recent cold
snaps must have been just the push our region needed to sprinkle a good
number of these birds into the Ohio Valley.

bpb, Frankfort