[birdky] Whitley County-birds at our feeder

  • From: "Cindy Powers" <tienywieny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:04:41 -0500

Hello Everyone!
                          We are new to this and hope this information falls
into what everyone is looking for in a post.
We live in the mountains of Gatliff, right on the egde of our family's 90
acres. We recently put up a bird feeder and have enjoyed the numerous visitors
to it. It is a fun hobby and such a joy to correctly indentify a bird we have
been watching munch away at seed rigth outside my office window. Here is a list
of birds we witnessed at the feeder and in the trees and have been able to
correctly identify.
1. Cardinal-Male & Female....one of our boys said that the tree looked like a
decorated Christmas tree since there were so many perched on various limbs
2. BlueJays.....it is amazing how big these birds are
3. Red Bellied Woodpecker....it is so cool as he comes right on our porch
4. Red-Headed Woodpecker
5. Tufted Titmouse.....this was the first one we identified, besides the
obvious ones above
6. Winter Wren
7. Red-Breasted Nuthatch
8. Carolina Chickadee.....it took us a bit to figure out it was Carolina and
not the Black-Capped
9. Savannah Sparrow
10. American Goldfinch...female, have not seen the male
11. Downy Woodpecker
12. White-breasted Nuthatch
13. House Finch-male & Female
14. Prairie Falcon-this was just yesterday [Jan 17]

Since we are so new to this, there is another bird we are not able to put an
identifty to. We feel it is some type of swallow. It is large, like the
BlueJay. I call it a 'Storm
Trooper' as when it faces you, its looks like it is wearing one of the helmets
of the storm troopers from the "Star Wars" movies. It is light gray and has
white on the underside of its wings, plus a white stripe across the top of the
wings. Sorry I cannot use the proper words to desrcibe the areas, that is how
new we are to this. :o)Anyone who knows what it is, please email us. My son saw
an owl the other day on our way into town. Unfortunately, he was unable to
desrcibe it to me for indentification. It was too far off to get good details.

Kenn & Cynthia Powers
Williamsburg, KY
tienywieny@xxxxxxxxxx
http://prevail.fourpointwellness.com/