[birdky] Sloughs WMA

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:00:10 -0500

Wow! I have been away for 2.5 weeks and the changes are remarkable.
Shorebird Unit was almost dry, now is completely flooded.
Water is running from Pond Creek back into Muddy Slough.
Water is standing in 268 (River) slough.
Pond Creek Marsh is flooded.
4 Inches of rain over the weekend really added to any water already
present.
Sloughs staff was celebrating all the free water added to the
impoundments. Water they didn't have to pay to pump.

If they are missing Gray Catbirds up north, after this weekends front
passage, I found them everywhere locally.

Sloughs WMA -Gentle P., Pond Creek Marsh, Hardy Slough, SBU,
Henderson, US-KY
Sep 26, 2011 7:25 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
48 species

Wood Duck  2
Northern Bobwhite  2
Great Blue Heron  4
Turkey Vulture  2
Bald Eagle  1
Northern Harrier  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  3
Mourning Dove  X
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  2
Barred Owl  3
Red-headed Woodpecker  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Downy Woodpecker  X
Northern Flicker  X
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
White-eyed Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  X
American Crow  X
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  50
Tree Swallow  X
Carolina Chickadee  X
Tufted Titmouse  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
Carolina Wren  5
House Wren  1
American Robin  X
Gray Catbird  20
Brown Thrasher  1
European Starling  X
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  1
Nashville Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  7
American Redstart  3
Northern Parula  2
Song Sparrow  3
Summer Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  X
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  3
Indigo Bunting  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X
Brown-headed Cowbird  300     in one flock at Gentle Pond
Baltimore Oriole  1
American Goldfinch  X

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org)

Charlie