[birdky] Sloughs Sunday

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:28:06 -0600

Mar 2, 2008

6:30AM to 1:30PM

45º mostly cloud calm, clearing at 10AM, wind picked up, finally temp. rising to 72º.

I covered the Sloughs areas:

Muddy Slough, Wood Tract, Anderson Pond, 268 slough, Crenshaw Tract, Grassy Pond/Powells Lake Unit, Jenny Hole/Highland Creek Unit, and back by Wood Tract again, West Franklin Road, McDonald Landing Road.

I attempted Horseshoe Road slough but water was over Horseshoe Road.
Jenny Hole/Highland Creek Unit had lots of trees down over the road. I parked and walked in to check on the new Eagle's nest.

Highlights:

Pied-billed Grebes at Anderson Pond & Crenshaw Tract
TUNDRA SWANS 6, back at Wood Tract at 1PM (Not there at 6:30AM)
Greater White Fronted Geese
Canada Geese
Mallards
Black Ducks
Gadwalls
Pintails
Green-wing Teal
Am. Widgeon
Shovelers
Wood Ducks at Anderson Pond and Crenshaw Tract (first I've seen since fall)
Redheads at 268 slough
Canvasbacks
Com. Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser
Turkey Vultures 40?? most I've seen since fall
Red-tailed Hawks everywhere
Red-shouldered Hawks 3 at JH/HC
Bald Eagles 3 adults in Henderson Co., 1 adult on the nest at JH/HC
Peregrine Falcon 1 in Union Co. at GP/PL chasing a duck into trees over a slough
Am. Kestrel
Turkey 40 next to Anderson Pond
Am. Coots
Least Sandpiper 1
Dunlin 6 at Wood Tract
Woodpeckers 6 sp.
Robins everywhere
Rusty Blackbirds

Non-bird items
Turtles hundreds sunning at Creshaw Tract
Frogs croaking

Charlie
Henderson Co.