[birdky] RPT: Observations from e. KY and Lexington

  • From: "Ben Yandell" <by@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 22:28:22 -0500

March 1.

* Black-capped chickadee in Blaine as previously reported.  We were there
early afternoon.  The bird was out of view for 2-10 or more minutes at a
time, and it never seemed to sit still for long when in view.  We still had
a few reasonable looks in the binoculars.  Can't imagine trying to get a
scope on it.

* Am. woodcock.  Six or more actively displaying in an open area along
Cherokee-Irish Creek Road in Yatesville Lake WMA.  Also heard e. screech-owl
and great horned owl.  Tried without success to find a n. saw-whet owl.

March 2.

* Chipping sparrow.  Four or so at feeders at Jenny Wiley State Park.

* Common raven.  Three seen; two in Ky.
  - Breaks Interstate Park from State Line overlook.  Single bird carrying a
piece of bread.  Stubbornly stayed in Virginia, but came within 1/4 mile of
Ky.
  - Soaring near US 119 2-3 miles north of Oven Fork.
  - Soaring above intersection where US 119 & 23 split (or join, depending
upon your perspective.  NE of Payne Gap, SW of Jenkins).

* Long-tailed duck, red-breasted merganser, and other interesting water
birds at old reservoir near Richmond Rd. and inside New Circle Road in
Lexington.  (Thanks, Joe Pulliam.)  L-t duck seen from Lakeshore Dr.
causeway; was fairly close at first.

Birds observed, with estimates from memory of the number seen.  N=north end
of reservoir; S=south:
        Canada geese 25 NS
        mallard 10 NS
        redhead 10 S
        ring-necked duck 5 S
        female long-tailed duck 1 N
        lesser scaup 20 S
        bufflehead 6 NS
        com. goldeneye 5 S
        hooded merg. pair S
        red-breasted merg. 9 S
        ruddy duck 8 NS
        pied-billed grebe       6 NS
        horned grebe 5 NS
        Am. coot 20 NS.

Be aware that this is a residential area with no access point to the lake
(that we could find).  To view the section of the lake north of the
causeway, we parked for a few minutes on the causeway itself (no shoulder,
so cars have to pull around you).  We found one empty lot after much driving
around that gave us a few minutes of viewing from the street of more of the
south section of the lake.  I don't think we bothered anyone, but if you go,
you'll have to be sensitive about the human residents of the area, also.

Ben and Mary Yandell
Louisville