[birdky] Re: Slightly OT: Songbird Rehabber?

  • From: "Mark Monroe" <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:09:50 -0400

(I was going to just reply to just Diana directly, but the issue of
baby birds is broad enough to post to the listserve)

Diana,

The issue of baby birds obviously comes up all too frequently.  The
misconception with the general public is that if a baby bird can't
fly, it is in distress and needs help.  In reality, the bulk of
songbirds will actually leave their nest prior to completing growth of
their feathers.  Often, there are several babies in a crowded nest,
and they will all leave a day to several days before they can fly.
This often leads to them hopping off in opposite directions
surprisingly far from the original nest, but rest assured parents will
continue to tend to them off and on over the course of the day as long
as they can hear their begging calls.  Sometimes it is several hours
between visits, but they almost always do continue to return.  The
best thing people can do is simply keep the babies out of harm's way
(off of roads, keep pets away) and leave them be.  Once the baby is
removed from the wild, it is harder for it's parents to relocate it
and it's odds of survival go drastically down.

Now, what I would do in this particular case is if it's been recent
enough (within a few hours), just return the baby to it's original
location.  Even if it's been longer, I'd still consider doing that as
the parents may still be tending to other young in the area.

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY