[birdky] Report of a possible Snowy Owl

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:08:54 EST

I was rabbit hunting today, 12/27/05, at the Dennis-Gray Wildlife  Management
Area (WMA) in Adair County KY. At approximately 10:30AM I  flushed an owl
approximately the same size as a Great-Horned, that appeared  completely white.
The owl was apparently perched in a fairly small tree about  15' - 20' above
the ground, I say apparently because I did not see him until he  began to fly.
The bird was almost directly over my head, perhaps 25' from me,  when I first
saw him. I was able to clearly see his entire underside, his entire  left side,
to include his head. The body surface areas I could see were 95% or  more
white.

I assure you that I am credible and have no hidden agenda. I have been an
avid outdoorsman for over 35 years and have some interest in birds and birds of

prey, having worked with federal biologists banding Great-Horned owls in
Michigan many years ago. I am also an engineer and am not prone to making hasty

assessments. My father was with me and also saw the bird, but from a greater
distance, he also described it as nearly all white.

The WMA is only 70 acres. I saw the bird in a thicket that is directly
behind the old home, which placed it about 75 yards off the road. I presume it
was
hunting as well.

I wish I could say with 100% certainty that what I saw was a Snowy Owl and
did read that their range is extending further south. I thought you should
know.

Sincerely,

Greg D. Lavy
Versailles, KY