[birdky] RPT:Birding around Louisville and longspurs

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:25:58 -0400

After not going out for a week or seeing anything worth reporting I finally
went out to the nature center Sunday night and this morning, as well as got up
at the crack of dawn to look for the reported longspurs.

Louisville Nature Center-6:20-7:00 pm the blind was closed so I waited standing
motionless by the edge and was well rewarded:
Canada Goose- overhead and feeding on zoo property this morning
Mallard- overhead
Cooper's Hawk-2 chasing each other at first I thought mating then i thought
looking at the size and behaviour that they were rivals
Mourning Dove
Red-bl. Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue jay
American Crow- these two species seem to be really coming back over the last 6
years
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-br. Nuthatch
Eu. Starling-Joe Creason
Fox Sparrow-1 closest I think I have ever been to one without a pane of glass
in front of me
Song Sparrow
White-thr. Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
No. Cardinal
flocks of Red-wg. Blackbirds and Common Grackles coming overhead constantly
House Finch - nearby
American Goldfinch- overhead
House Sparrow- thankfully not at feeders

Chamberlain Ln.- Schuler Ln. Northeastern Jefferson Co.-8:00-9:25 am
Great Blue Heron-2
Northern Harrier- beautiful adult male- last bird seen- behind development near
I-71 over pass
Red-sh. Hawk-1 sitting in on small building near silos in the middle of field
odd
Red-tl. Hawk
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
a gray object I saw at first light flapping- gliding appeared fairly uniformly
gray may have been owl but caught in traffic on chamberlain so couldn't use
binocs
Red-bl. Woodpecker- heard calling but it sounded in hindsight more like a
red-headed wish I spent more time on it
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Horned Lark 100+ flock feeding in horse corral next to longspur feeding area
and scatterd individuals singing
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Eastern Towhee
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Lapland Longspur- this is far and away the closest and in the best light I have
ever seen this bird and only the third time- I have to thank the Bells for
finding them and Barbara Woerner for telling me
No. Cardinal
Red-wg. Blackbird- flocks and establishing territories
Eastern Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird- at least two calling in trees past the corn fields on Schuler
Ln.
Common Grackle-overhead constantly

Good Birding,
Michael Autin,