[birdky] Hooded Mergansers and Tree Sparrows

  • From: j arnold <alee04lacebark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:14:01 -0700 (PDT)

Last Wednesday morning we noticed a pair of Hooded
Mergansers on the "pond" below our house. They stayed
for at least half an hour dipping in and out of the
water. The male was displaying for the female, or at
least that is what we thought he was doing. They left
when we went to feed the bluebirds.

This weekend, mixed in with the other assorted birds
on our covered porch, were three Tree Sparrows.

Since we have been feeding the Bluebirds mealworms,
plus a mix of peanut butter and grains, we have
noticed that juncoes are also sampling the mix.

What was really dismaying was the number of Cowbirds
and many Starlings running off the smaller birds in
order to chow down on the food.  There were several
Red-Winged Blackbirds also eating on the porch.

Judy Arnold
N. Shelby County