[birdky] RPT: Misc observations

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:01:33 -0400

I've seen a lot of weird things in 30 years of birding, but standing at the
corner of Bradley and Lynn Streets near downtown Louisville (just east of
Univ of Louisville campus) last Friday with Jane Bell had to be one of the
oddest.  Some of you know that the Louisville area's Black-crowned
Night-Heron nesting population has moved into residential areas near the
Louisville Zoo in the past 5 or so years, having been evicted from the zoo
grounds for their "bad" behavior.  The BCNHs have scattered about more than
a square mile area, persisting where they can in large shade trees of urban
yards. So it's strange enough driving down a city street and seeing BCNH
nests in the trees, but Jane and I were there in search of a GREAT EGRET
nest reported by Rose Hensel.  Sure enough, as soon as we stepped out of the
car, right there in the middle of a large silver maple was a nest full of
three nearly-full grown Great Egrets ! ! !  What a sight for the city.

Sedge Wrens are moving into the Indian Grass fields on my family's farm in
eastern Jefferson County again this year. The first one showed up about two
and a half weeks ago, and there are now three singing away in the tall,
dense grass.

There was a calling ("whitting," not singing) Least Flycatcher in the yard
on Saturday evening, an obvious early fall migrant, but not early --- tieing
Ben Yandell's record of a singing bird in Jefferson County in 2001.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx