[birdky] RPT: Middleton Transient Pond/Lake

  • From: "Bennett, Mark" <Mark.Bennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:43:39 -0500

25 March 2008:

This morning, I made myself late for work so I could scan the Middleton
Transient Pond/Lake , Simpson County, that I previously reported as
having formed.  This body of water is a pretty good attractor of
migrating birds while it lasts, but it does not last long.  It has
already receded significantly since the 3-4 days between my last visit
and the present.  My morning scan was not without birds, however.
Observed there this AM were:

Blue-winged Teal

2

Pied-billed Grebe

1

Greater Yellowlegs

10

Lesser Yellowlegs

11

Pectoral Sandpiper

43

Wilson's Snipe

1

American Pipit

~20

Fox Sparrow

1

At neighboring "Crocker Farm Pond", across the county line into Logan
County, a smaller transient pond  is formed on the SW side of KY 100.
Present there this AM were

Mallard                      3

Greater Yellowlegs  7

Lesser Yellowlegs    9

Note:  If there is anyone planning to visit Middleton Pond/Lake, they
should do so in the next few days.  Birding is from the road on KY 103.
There is very little traffic on this road and most of it is quite slow
due to the immense congestion within the metropolis of Middleton.  J

Mark Bennett, Director of Federal Programs

Logan County School District

PO Box 417

2222 Bowling Green Road

Russellville, KY  42276