[birdky] RPT: Lake Barkley & Ky Lake, 2/9/2013 ... Lesser Black-backed Gulls galore ...

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 22:51:13 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Eddie Huber and I birded the northern ends of Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake
today. We were unable to pin down any really rare birds, but we ran into a
record KY count for Lesser Black-backed Gulls. We think we had a first-year
Great Black-backed Gull at the roost this evening, but it was quite the runt
for a GBBG if so, not being any larger than Herring Gulls next to it; pretty
much everything else looked good at 1/4 to 1/2 mile in the late day light.
Perhaps someone else can luck into finding it somewhere in coming weeks.

The gulls continue to perplex in their behavior, with very few feeding below
the dams. Still seems they are just spreading out everywhere. Probably more
than 3000 Bonaparte's Gulls were at the roost, and we did find 1500-2000 of
them during the day in the Poplar Creek embayment of Lake Barkley. Pretty sure
we also had a first-year hybrid Herring Gull x Glaucous Gull at the mouth of
Lick Creek on Lake Barkley. Something else for folks to keep their eye out for.
Looked like a slightly-dark first-year Glaucous with sandy brown terials and
primaries. Head and bill structure look spot-on for Glaucous.

The male Long-tailed Duck continues above Kentucky Dam but can be hard to find.
Good mix of common species of waterbirds, but nothing unusual in the
waterfowl/grebe/loon groups. At one spot we pished in 10 Pine Siskins.

The rundown on Lesser Black-backs follows. Based on the timing of our
observations, duplication seemed unlikely but would be impossible to disprove
for a couple of the adults:

1 & 2) Eddy Creek embayment of Lake Barkley ... an adult and a second-year

3) mouth of Lick Creek, Lake Barkley ... an adult

4) Lake Barkley above the dam ... a second-year

5) Kentucky Lake above the dam ... an adult

6 & 7) Sledd Creek embayment ... both adults

8) Kentucky Lake farther south off Panorama Shores ... an adult

9) Kentucky Lake off mouth of Sledd Creek ... a first-year (oddly, we didn't
see ANY of the birds we had seen earlier in the day at the roost).

bpb & ebh, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm